Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Bride...

For as long as I can remember (especially in the past 9 months), I've been anti-wedding, anti-bride, anti-romance etc. However, I am going into the wedding photography industry... partly it fell into my lap because a number of my friends are beginning to start saying their "I do"s and they've known that I am a photographer.

Two weekends ago, I made the journey to South Royalton, Vermont to photograph my friends Amy and Dave's engagement photos. This past weekend, I joined my business partner and friend, Brian, to photograph his friends Ryan and Colleen's wedding. I have got to say that both Amy and Colleen are by no means the conventional bride, but both made me cry of joy for what they both have found. Both are strong women with vibrant personalities. I have known Amy since I was 11 and have seen her with Dave since we were 14... I knew what they had was real since I was about 15 or 16 years old and had a hunch that this was going to be a companionship that would last. Colleen I only got to know the day of her wedding. Throughout the day, I got to understand her relationship with Ryan, and with that single day I understood that it was similar to Amy and Dave's relationship in that it was a companionship that would last.

There is something to be said about both of these remarkable women... they both have been pursuing their dreams in their career paths as well as their love lives, which I feel is a characteristic that is not found in most women. I myself lose myself when I'm in a relationship with someone, but I think it is this sense of truth to one's self and one's desires that helps a relationship last. When you take the time for yourself and your needs then you can be truly happy, whether you are in a relationship or not... It is this that I celebrate in both of these women.

Below is a photograph I took of Colleen the day of her wedding on Franklin Town Common. I love how the light hits her veil and is making her glow. This glow delineates her happiness on this day. I could not help but smile and try to hold back tears of joy for both her and her groom. Congratulations Colleen and Ryan to finding one another and to your commitment to one another. It is truly something to celebrate.


Colleen, October 23, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment