Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Loss of a Great Female Role Model

On October 8th, 2010, my family and I suffered a significant loss. My grandmother passed away from fighting stomach cancer for the past 2 years. She died at the age of 89. She was an inspiration to both her kids and all her grandchildren. A generous, kind-hearted and especially loving woman. Her family meant everything to her and she always put all of us first before herself. I have a lot that I am still learning from my grandmother and will always continue to strive to live up to her example.

She was boundless and adventurous. She immigrated to America with my aunt, uncle and cousin in 1979. She worked as an x-ray technician during World War II and as a Russian to English translator at St. Elizabeth's hospital when she moved to Boston. She took so much pride in her family and all that we have become and always supported us to reach for our goals and dreams.

Tomorrow is her funeral and I'm not sure what will happen or how I will react, but I know she will always be in my heart and that she has touched my life because she helped make me who I am today. She was always so strong and I see her strength in myself.

I love you Grandma. Thank you for being a part of my life.

Alexandra Vinnikova
August 5, 1921 - October 8, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment